The smell of espresso beans is in the air and I see a delicious pain au chocolat staring at me as I walk into La Caféothèque. I excitedly go to the counter to order, then pull out my wallet, and realize that I’m going to have to go to the ATM after this stop. I’ve been in Paris for 2 days, and I have realized that it t is easy to get carried away by everything that Paris has to offer. Luckily, if you know where to look, there are a lot of amazing things to see and do in Paris that wont cost you a dime.
- See the Sacré-Coeur Basilica – This church is located on the top of Montmartre which is the highest point in Paris. The church itself is beautiful on the inside with a stunning blue and gold dome stealing the spotlight. The view from the outside over the city is magnificent, and one that you will not want to miss (more so if you are not going to the top of the Eiffel Tower)
- View the Arc de Triomphe – One of the most famous monuments in Paris, this Arc pays tribute to those who served and lost their lives in the French Revolution and the Napoleonic War. Although the arc’s is huge, intricate and worth seeing in its own right, I think it is its location that makes it really cool. It is at the center of Charles de Gaulle which branches out to 12 avenues.
- Stroll down the Champs-Élyseés – Paris’ grand boulevard with many high-end shops. It is fun to window shop down this strip and admire all of the plush clothing and accessories.
- Picnic at the Tuilenes Garden – At the end of the Champs-Élyseés you will come to this public park providing a quaint retreat. You can enjoy the green space, stroll through like a Parisian, sit by the water, admire the flowers, or play at the playground.
- Enjoy the character of the Promenade des Berges de la Seine – This space is relatively new to Paris (2013) and provides a wonderful afternoon. You can bike through, take the kids to the playground, eat at a cafés lining the bridge, see a floating gardens, utilize exercise spaces, or just sit by the water and relax (Keep your eye out for teepees).
- Take in the Notre-Dame – The most famous church in Paris that many around the world are modeled after. It features a magnificent rose stained glass window, gargoyles, and flying buttresses.
- Watch the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night – If you want to do the Eiffel Tower free, then you aren’t going to get to go to the top. I think that the next best thing is to go at night when the lights start to twinkle.
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my blog to receive a weekly newsletter where I will send you more information on the places I am visiting, and what I recommend to explore in the places that you want to go.